Client: Cheshire East Highways
Location: Congleton town centre
Value: Circa £1m
The public realm enhancement aims to maximise the opportunities to grow Congleton’s economy by stimulating the physical and economic regeneration of the town centre’s retail core.
The scheme was delivered junction enhancements and an improved local environment.
Features of the scheme include:
- Wider footways at Swan Bank Junction
- New footway paving through Bridge Street and at Market Street / High Street junction
- Decorative granite feature paving
- Decorative road surfacing at Swan Bank and Market Street / High Street junctions
- Decorative lighting features
- Improved levels of lighting
- Replacement street furniture including the import of 1-tonne granite bench sections
- Provision for cycle storage
- Improved drainage systems
- New ‘Green’ planting
The scheme posed all the usual challenges of maintaining safe access for traders, customers and deliveries throughout the whole scheme in this busy town centre environment.